As a cosmetic treatment, Microdermabrasion ensures immediate results of rejuvenation and perfectly flawless-looking skin. The ultimate aim of Microdermabrasion is to make the skin's complexion smoother and even-toned. Many undergo the treatment to reduce the visible fine lines and patches of aging and marks or scars caused by acne.
If you are looking for a non-invasive, effective way to rejuvenate your skin, Microdermabrasion might be the answer. As a cosmetic procedure that exfoliates the skin, Microdermabrasion removes dead skin cells and reveals smoother, younger-looking skin.
What Is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Microdermabrasion uses a diamond-tipped wand or crystals to remove the outermost layer of dead skin cells as a skin resurfacing procedure.
The treatment is done on the face, neck, chest, back, arms, and hands. The procedure involves removing the outermost layer of dead skin cells to reveal a smoother and brighter complexion making your skin appear more rejuvenated and youthful. It treats various skin conditions, including fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation.
How Does Microdermabrasion Work?
During the procedure, a gentle suction is applied to the skin, removing dead skin cells and unclogs pores. The suction also stimulates blood flow to the skin, promoting collagen production.
The device typically uses tiny crystals or a diamond tip to exfoliate the skin, which is then suctioned away. The procedure is painless and does not require any downtime, making it a popular choice for people who want to improve the appearance of their skin.
Microdermabrasion can be performed on different parts of the body that includes the face, neck, chest, arms, and hands. If patches caused due to pollution or sunburns have formed on the skin then microdermabrasion will lighten these existing patch marks and save your skin from permanent damage. It is a safe and effective treatment that helps eliminate the appearance of fine lines, acne scars, blemishes, patches, wrinkles, age spots, and other skin imperfections.
What Are The Treatment Procedures For Microdermabrasion?
The microdermabrasion procedure typically takes 30 to 60 minutes and is done by a licensed aesthetician. This simple procedure is painless and requires no anaesthesia. During the removal of the uppermost layer of the skin, the body interprets the procedure as an injury that facilitates quicker healing. It enables the body to produce new skin much faster, giving you a healthy glow and a vibrantly fresh feeling.
Below mentioned are the typical steps that are generally used in a microdermabrasion treatment:
Step 1: Consultation
The first step in treating Microdermabrasion is to book a consultation appointment with a qualified skincare professional before the treatment procedure. During this consultation, the professional will examine your skin and ask questions about your skincare routine, medical history, and any concerns you may have about your skin.
Step 2: Cleansing
Before beginning the microdermabrasion treatment, your skincare professional will clean your skin thoroughly and remove any makeup, lotions, dirt, or oil. You will be given protective eyewear to use as the machine used in Microdermabrasion can create tiny particles that can be harmful if they get into your eyes.
Step 3: Microdermabrasion Treatment
The microdermabrasion treatment itself typically takes between 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the area being treated. The skincare professional will then use a hand-held device to exfoliate the skin, focusing on the areas that need the most attention. The microdermabrasion machine is moved over the skin, gently exfoliating the outermost layer of dead skin cells. The device typically uses tiny crystals or a diamond tip to exfoliate the skin, which is then suctioned away. The practitioner will adjust the intensity of the device to suit the individual's skin type and the severity of the skin condition being treated.
The treatment is usually painless, although some patients may experience mild discomfort such as a slight tingling or tightening sensation. The sensation can be compared to the feeling of a soft scratching or vibration, which will eventually subside over time.
Step 4: Post-Treatment Care
After the microdermabrasion treatment, your skin may appear slightly red or swollen. It is expected to subside within a few hours. Your skincare professional will provide instructions on how to care for your skin cautiously after the treatment. Mostly, the practitioner will apply a moisturizer to your skin's surface that will add a hydrating effect and evenly soothe the skin.
It is essential to avoid direct sunlight and wear sunscreen for several days after the treatment. You should also avoid using harsh skincare products, such as exfoliants or scrubs, for at least 24 hours after the treatment. For self-care, use a moisturizer and a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect the skin from sun exposure.
Step 5: Follow-Up Treatment
The results of Microdermabrasion are typically seen after the first treatment. Still, it is often recommended to have several treatments to achieve the best results. Your skincare professional will recommend a treatment plan based on your skin type and concerns.
What Are The Benefits Of Microdermabrasion?
- Exfoliates the Skin: Microdermabrasion removes dead skin cells and also promotes the growth of new skin cells, resulting in brighter, polished, and younger-looking skin.
- Reduces Fine Lines and Wrinkles: Another benefit of Microdermabrasion is its ability to stimulate blood flow to the skin immediately, promote collagen production, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. By restoring the production of collagen and elastin, the procedure can help improve your skin's overall tone. It is beneficial by eliminating fine lines and wrinkles, thus enhancing your skin, and giving a smoother, more even appearance.
- Reduces Acne, Acne Scars, and Hyperpigmentation: Microdermabrasion helps to unclog pores and reduce the visibility of acne scars and hyperpigmentation. It removes the top layer of the skin, resulting in the formation of collagen and elastin, which are considered to be essential for skin regeneration. It can also help improve the skin's texture and tone, making it look more youthful and radiant.
- Improves Skin Tone, Texture, and Appearance: One of the most significant benefits of Microdermabrasion is its ability to enhance the texture and appearance of the skin. The procedure helps remove dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin's surface, leaving it smoother and more even. It helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and other skin imperfections.
- Improved Skin Hydration and Moisture Retention: Microdermabrasion can also help to improve skin hydration and moisture retention. Removing dead skin cells from the skin's surface can help unclog pores and allow skincare products to penetrate more deeply. It can help improve the skin's overall health and appearance, making it look more hydrated and nourished.
- Minimized Appearance of Large Pores: Microdermabrasion can also help minimize the appearance of large pores. Removing the top layer of the skin can help unclog pores and remove excess oil and dirt, which can contribute to forming large pores. It can help to give the skin a smoother, more even appearance.
Types of Microdermabrasion
Several types of Microdermabrasion are available, each with its unique benefits and drawbacks. The most common types of Microdermabrasion include:
- Crystal Microdermabrasion: This type of Microdermabrasion uses a wand that shoots microfine crystals from a small tube, then removes the dead skin cells using a vacuum-like suction. This technique is similar to a high-powered scrub that gently exfoliates your facial skin. Crystal microdermabrasion is generally considered more aggressive than other types of Microdermabrasion. It is not recommended for people with sensitive skin. However, it is an effective option for people with more severe skin concerns, such as deep acne scars or sun damage.
- Diamond-tip Microdermabrasion: Instead of using crystals, this type of Microdermabrasion uses a wand with a diamond tip to physically exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells. The wand is used across the skin in a back-and-forth motion, and the dead skin cells are suctioned away through a small vacuum attached to the rod. Diamond microdermabrasion is less aggressive than crystal and is suitable for people with sensitive skin. It is also a good option for people who want to target specific areas of the face or body, such as around the eyes or mouth.
- Hydra Dermabrasion: This is a relatively newer method of Microdermabrasion that uses water to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells. The water is mixed with a serum that contains vitamins and other nutrients, which are infused into the skin as the water is used to exfoliate. Hydra dermabrasion is a gentler option than crystal or diamond microdermabrasion. It is a good option for people with sensitive skin. It is also a good option for people who want to hydrate and nourish their skin while also exfoliating it.
All these types of Microdermabrasion can be performed in a professional setting, such as a spa or dermatologist's office, or with at-home devices.
How Much Does Microdermabrasion Cost in India?
The cost of Microdermabrasion in India varies depending on a range of factors, including the location, the practitioner, the type of Microdermabrasion and the severity of the skin condition being treated. On average, the cost of Microdermabrasion in India ranges from INR 2,500 to INR 10,000 per session. However, it is essential to note that multiple sessions may be required to achieve the desired results.
It is always best to consult a qualified practitioner to determine the best treatment course and get an accurate cost estimate.
It is important to note that the cost of Microdermabrasion may also depend on the type of Microdermabrasion used. Diamond microdermabrasion is usually more expensive than crystal microdermabrasion.
Factors That Can Affect The Cost Of Microdermabrasion In India Include:
- Location - Generally, clinics located in metropolitan areas or posh localities may charge more for the procedure.
- Experience of the Practitioner - A more experienced practitioner may charge more for the procedure.
- Extent of the Treatment - The cost of the procedure can also depend on the size of the area being treated. Treating a larger area, such as the full face, will typically cost more than treating a smaller area, such as the forehead or cheeks.
- Number of Sessions Required - The number of sessions required to achieve the desired results can also affect the cost. Typically, multiple sessions are necessary to achieve optimal results.
- Clinic Reputation: Clinics with a good reputation or high-end clinics may charge a higher amount for the treatment of Microdermabrasion.
It's important to note that these are general price ranges and can vary depending on the clinic and location. It is recommended to consult with a qualified practitioner to determine the cost of the procedure as per individual requirements.
What Is The Cost Of Facial Microdermabrasion?
Face Microdermabrasion, or facial Microdermabrasion is a type of Microdermabrasion explicitly done on the face. Facial Microdermabrasion price can vary depending on the location, clinic, and experience of the Doctor or aesthetician providing the treatment. On average, the cost of facial Microdermabrasion in India ranges from INR 2,500 to INR 5,000 per session.
However, it's crucial to regularly apply sunscreen as a protective measure since your skin might be sensitive to direct sunlight for a few weeks. Some may even experience burning, stinging, and swelling as harsh side effects, which will likely subside with time.
Ensure that you properly consult your skincare professional regarding the number of microdermabrasion sessions required to complete your treatment. The severity of various skin concerns and the expectations may vary for different patients. Therefore, your treatment provider will appropriately design a plan for the initial number of sessions and maintain a routine for periodic treatments.
As mentioned earlier, the treatment results are effective only if you follow all the guidelines correctly. The alternatives of Microdermabrasion include maintaining a healthy routine for the skin wherein keeping the skin safe from sun exposure and cleansing it regularly is essential. Keeping this routine in the initial stages of the procedure will eventually help your microdermabrasion treatment be a permanent result.
If you are willing to solve the problems related to skin pigmentation, then a microdermabrasion treatment would be the right choice for you. At Dr. Mohan Thomas Aesthetics, you are under the guidance of a top-notch Cosmetic Physician and the best face surgeon in India, who will keep your skin worries away. To gain more information on Microdermabrasion, get in touch with us today.